Does my landlord have the right to conduct background checks on guests that stay overnight in my home occasionally?

Prince George, VA |
Filed under: Tenant rights

I am currently renting a home in Jarratt, VA in which I have been living there for about a month now. Recently, my landlord has been inquiring about my boyfriend who is a frequent guest in my home, but does not live with me. She has went as far as to say that he has to be on the lease, stating that she noticed he drives my car and stays often. After speaking with her in further detail explaining the situation and expressing that i feel my privacy is being violated, that she is making my living environment very uncomfortable, and should not have any concern with my personal life and who drives my vehicles, she then simply asked for a list of frequent visitors with their information. She continues to seek information, in which she has not been given any apparent reason for her actions.

1. Much will depend upon what your lease says. There may also be an interpretation that he is "living" there for all intents and purposes. I recommend you take a copy of your lease to a local landlord/tenant attorney for review.

There may be any number of other reasons she would have a legitimate interest based upon safety of tenants, complaints by other tenants or neighbors, parking limitations/enforcement, etc. There just isn't enough information here.

Please note that this response is based upon the limited information available in the question. In addition, it is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship and is offered only as general information and not as legal advice.

Landlord-tenant law topics