Skip to main content

Does my juvenile record get cleared when I turn 18?

Long Grove, IL |

I was recently arrested for underage drinking. I will turn 18 next week. Will my offense be dropped and my record cleared? Will I need to expunge my offense? What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you have not hired an attorney, do so now. There are many consequences you want to avoid such as a suspension of your driving privileges. There is no law or defense that says an underage drinking ticket will be dropped once a person turns 18 especially since the legal drinking age in Illinois is still 21.
If you are eligible to expunge this case, your attorney will explain the process to you and when you will be eligible to petition to expunge it. Nothing happens automatically. This will stay on your record forever unless you take the step to file a petition to expunge. Your attorney will explain this to you in greater detail.


The charge will not be dropped. A conviction or supervision will result in suspension of your driver's license. Hire an experienced defense attorney in your location who can negotiate an amended charge to avoid this. That attorney will likely be able to handle your expungement as well.


Why would you think it will be dropped? Talk to your family and have them hire an attorney.Sincerely,

Attorney Mitchell S. Sexner
Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC /o
Defending your rights since 1990
1 (800) 996 -4824
Email: :
Website: Criminal and Traffic Attorneys

Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer