Does my husbands daughter from a previous marriage still get his estates if he dies?

South Saint Paul, MN |
Filed under: Intestacy and probate

My husband got a divorce before he met me but now we are married and in his divorce decree it says that if he dies she( his daughter) gets his estate. I am now skeptical of buying a house with him or anything big for that matter.

Although I'd have to read the divorce decree at issue, I doubt the judge issued an order specifically saying that your husband's entire estate HAD to go to the daughter. It may have been required that he somehow secure his support obligation or something similar. Under standard intestacy law (i.e., he has no will), you'd be entitled to the majority of the estate, and his daughter would be entitled to the remainder. That can be altered with a will. I'd suggest that you bring the decree to an attorney for review and to discuss the other options. Joint ownership of an asset may also be a possibility.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

2. His daughter is entitled to take a portion of his estate when he passes on unless there is a will that specifically cuts her out (and that can be subject to challenge as well.) What you can do to protect your interests is to set things up where, if you buy a house, you have it as a joint tenancy with right of survivorship, meaning upon his death, the property goes to you free and clear of any claim that she may have. It does not pass down to her. You may want to consult an estate planning attorney in your area who can help address your concerns regarding the kids taking.

You may also want to see if you can discuss this issue with your husband. It seems that you have some issues that you may need to resolve between the two of you.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

3. The exact wording is important in this case. Through estate planning, many people die without leaving an "estate" for probate purposes. It would make sense to take the language to a law office that handles family law and estate planning. There may be some planning that can be done to avoid problems.

4. I strongly suggest having an attorney carefully review the language of the decree. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I've never seen such a provision in the divorce decree unless it has something to do with allowing resources to be used while daughter is still a child.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Wills and estates topics