Does my husband qualify for early release with the Three Judge Panel new California Laws?

Laredo, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My husband was convicted in 2004 and got arrested in 2002, he was 20 at the time and he's a violent offender? He got 16 years and serving 85%. His release date is 3/17/2017.
Is it possible he can get out in December or January with the new laws.

Let me correct myself not law, but the Three Judge Panel ruling on CDCR inmate population, that Governor Brown has to reduce the population. My husband has a job as soon as he comes home, he's then matured and wants a fresh new start with our daughters and I. Is there a possibility that he can get his sentence reduced from serving 85% to 65%? He's a level 2 inmate and they have him in an Out of State prison. He's a California inmate not a Texas one.

What new law are you referring to?

Kathryn Mary Holton

Kathryn Mary Holton

Oh I see, look for a Criminal Defense Attorney in California, you probably could pay an hour consulting fee to have him/her review your husbands situation and give you an accurate answer of probability. Or maybe there is some stats on the prison website or Gov. Browns' website. Good Luck. Hope he gets out early!!!!!

You need to contact a criminal defense attorney within the state of CA.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.

You need to ask a California lawyer. The law is different in every state.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.