Does my husband get most of the settlement or how much?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Warren, OH

I got 6490.00 from a personal injury settlement. I am currently married and haven't worked.

1. John Maurice Holcomb

11

Answered . When a married person is injured, there are two claims: the person's claim for personal injury, and the spouse's claim for what is known as "loss of consortium." The settlement check will be issued in the names of "Jane Doe, married, and John Doe, her husband," and both of you will be expected to sign the release.

The bank will require both of your signatures to cash the check. If you and your husband cannot agree on how this money will be divided, do not sign the check, and consult a divorce lawyer.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

8

Answered . Not likely; what advise did your attorney provide?

3. Randall Richard Sevenish

Pro

7

Answered . If your husband was not injured in the accident then he does not have a claim against the insurance company. However, whatever you choose to do with your settlement check is up to you. Really need more information to answer the question properly.

4. Michael Lynn Walker

Pro

7

Answered . If your husband wasn't involved the settlement is your. You suffered the injuries you are entitled to compensation for the damages.

Pro

7

Answered . The money is yours to keep, but if you are working, you may want to contribute to the expenses. You can find a job on careerbuilder.com. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com