Does my girlfriend have grounds for a sexual harassment case against a company and their employee?

Newport News, VA |

We were at Dominion Metal Recycling in Newport News Virginia when an employee started making comments about my girlfriends body. It eventually got worse and worse until he said that he would take her out for drinks then back to his house. My girlfriend now feeling very uncomfortable then went to the car. We brought it up to his manager and they did not follow through. Do we have grounds for a sexual harassment case? She was emotionally damaged by these comments and cried the rest of the day.

Not in the traditional sense of the word, sexual harassment, that is used in the workplace. It sounds like you and your girlfriend were customers. If he didn't touch her then no assault case. Best bet, find another place to do your business with. You can check with a local attorney for any mental anguish claims but I seriously doubt these actions rise to the degree necessary for a tort claim.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at