Skip to main content

Does my father owe me Money???

Oregon City, OR |
Filed under: Family law

My father never gave any child support or any money to my mother.I am now a 19 year old college student and I wanted to know if there was any way to find out if he owes me anything and if I can get any money from him???

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Read the divorce agreement, it probably states what he is required to pay and pay for.

  2. In Oregon, by statute he is responsible for sharing in your costs of college until you turn age 21, so long as other requirements are met. See ORS 107.108. You can bring this action, meaning your mother's involvement is not required. You might need a lawyer to help you enforce this, but your father does carry that obligation. You could contact Legal Aid Services in your area or the Oregon State Bar Modest Means and Pro Bono programs for referrals to attorneys who can discuss this with you.

    In addition, as pointed out by my learned colleagues from other jurisdictions, he may owe your mother for back or even current child support.

    Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

  3. Whether or not he owes support depends on whether there was ever an order for child support entered against him If your mother did not pursue getting an order for child support then he would not owe money to her. However if there was a child support order, unpaid amounts are owed to your mother, not you. However most support orders provide that support is payable to the adult child who attends school until they reach age 21. So your father may owe the support that was payable since you turned 18 to you. In any case, you should be able to amend or establish a child support order if there currently isn't one to get support until you turn age 21. Contact the district attorney's office in the county where you live and make an appointment to talk to them to see what the situation is and if they can help you. This service is free.

    The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics