Does my father owe me Money???

Asked over 2 years ago - Oregon City, OR

My father never gave any child support or any money to my mother.I am now a 19 year old college student and I wanted to know if there was any way to find out if he owes me anything and if I can get any money from him???

1. Brian S Wayson

2

1

Answered . In Oregon, by statute he is responsible for sharing in your costs of college until you turn age 21, so long as other requirements are met. See ORS 107.108. You can bring this action, meaning your mother's involvement is not required. You might need a lawyer to help you enforce this, but your father does carry that obligation. You could contact Legal Aid Services in your area or the Oregon State Bar Modest Means and Pro Bono programs for referrals to attorneys who can discuss this with you.

In addition, as pointed out by my learned colleagues from other jurisdictions, he may owe your mother for back or even current child support.

2. Joanne Reisman

2

1

Answered . Whether or not he owes support depends on whether there was ever an order for child support entered against him If your mother did not pursue getting an order for child support then he would not owe money to her. However if there was a child support order, unpaid amounts are owed to your mother, not you. However most support orders provide that support is payable to the adult child who attends school until they reach age 21. So your father may owe the support that was payable since you turned 18 to you. In any case, you should be able to amend or establish a child support order if there currently isn't one to get support until you turn age 21. Contact the district attorney's office in the county where you live and make an appointment to talk to them to see what the situation is and if they can help you. This service is free.

3. Patrick T. Donovan

3

Answered . I believe he may owe your mom not you.

4. Robert West

2

Answered . Read the divorce agreement, it probably states what he is required to pay and pay for.