Does my ex husband have the right to do a loan modification without my consent?

Asked over 5 years ago - Evansdale, IA

I signed a quit claim deed prior to our divorce and he never refinanced. I know I'm still legally responsible for the debt as a co-borrower. He has missed the last 10 payments and recently was approved for a loan mofication with out my knowledge. He asked me to sign some papers, but I refused. I want the house to go into forclosure so it will not count toward my debt to income. I know the forclosure will still be on my credit, but it's been ruined already from his late payments over the last few years. When I called the bank I got 2 anwsers. 1. with a quit claim deed and divorce papers they can approve loan mod. 2. that a paper was signed with my signature (I didn't sign) so forged maybe. does the bank need my signature for the loan mod to be approved?

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . Bear in mind I am not in your state.

You need to see a lawyer immediately. If he forged papers he can go to jail, and the paperwork may be void or voidable.

A foreclosure may be worse on credit than late payments, and you should see a lawyer to determine what actually is best for you.