Does my ex have rights?

Elkhorn, WI |

I am currently pregnant and was never married to her father, he will not be on the birth certificate, does he have rights to have visitation two hours away?

The father will not have any rights to the child (or be obligated to support the child) until he obtains a paternity judgment from the court establishing his rights and obligations.

My answer does not automatically make me your attorney or create a former-client/current-client relationship with you. I encourage you to speak with an attorney before acting upon any of the statements I make. If you would like to speak with me further about your issue, please schedule a free initial consultation (in person or over the phone) by calling my office at (920) 459-8490, or by emailing me at info@klpplaw.com. You can also visit www.klpplaw.com for more information.

So after that gets determined what are his chances of having custody two hours away?

Nicholas J.B. Pasquale

Nicholas J.B. Pasquale

Custody refers to decision making authority; placement refers to which parent the child is with during certain times. There is a presumption of joint custody in Wisconsin. Placement will be determined after considering what is in the best interests of the child. Without knowing more information about the specific facts and circumstances o

Nicholas J.B. Pasquale

Nicholas J.B. Pasquale

of your case, it is difficult to give an assessment other than it is unlikely the court would give the father substantial placement of the newborn unless there are substantial concerns about you as a parent.

Wendy Sue Johnson

Wendy Sue Johnson

...depends on the Judge/Commissioner. It is likely that he will get some placement, the question is how much. If he seeks more than you are comfotable with, talk to an attorney about your options. And don't sign any agreements until you talk to an attorney who can explain the meaning of such agreements.

No. No rights at all.

What if he maintains paternity through the court? Then will he?

Tajara Dommershausen

Tajara Dommershausen

if he files for paternity thru through the court and is adjudicated the father, then he will have rights.

If you get governmental assistance for the child, you will be asked to identify the father for child support purposes. The counties want the men responsible for these children paying support. I am unsure what happens if you fail to identify the father. If a paternity action is started, he in fact could request visitation right and might get them, but distance will play a factor.

Child custody topics