Does my employer have to pay me for my two weeks notice if he lets me go early. I'm an hourly employee, not salary.

Denver, CO |

I am an hourly employee in the state of Colorado. I gave my two weeks notice and my employer called today and said they have covered my remaining shifts and I don't have to return. Does my employer have to pay me for my two weeks or only for my shifts worked?

1. No. You are giving your two weeks notice as a courtesy to the employer. However, if they feel that you would be disruptive or not be concentrating on work, they can ask that you leave or be escorted out immediately. They just have to pay you up to that point in time. So, your employer does not have to pay your for the next two weeks, only the shifts that you actually worked.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

2. Mr. Leroi is right -- the employer does not have to pay you. Sorry about that.

Good luck with new employment!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.