Does my employer have the right to hire someone new when I was laid off less than 2 months ago?

Scranton, PA |

My husband & about 40 employees have been laid off less than 2 months ago. The employer has just listed their same title positions, in the same location as open on their careers available website. Do they have the right to hire new employees or should they be calling back their laid off employees first?

1. Unless this is a union position, your employer can do anything it wants. PA is an at-will employment state.

2. He has the right unless there is some union seniority system or other contractual obligation to hire back by seniority. However, and this is a big however, some Employers lay off workers who are older or have disabilities and then start hiring young and/or healthy workers. Comparing the ype of hires with those laid off may reveal as case.

3. Unless it is required by the collective bargaining agreement or state law, the employer has no obligation to recall laid-off workers. Under the circumstances you describe, it can be useful for a skilled attorney to conduct an age-discrimination analysis.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.