Does my Durable Power of Attorney Allow me to Change Details of A Revocable Trust?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Mateo, CA

My father is incapacitated and my durable power of attorney is about to be enacted. In the DPA, it states granted powers include " To exercise any power I may have to withdraw assets from any trusts ". In limitations on powers granted it states " To exercise any trustees powers under an irrevocable trust of which my agent is a settlor and I am a trustee"

My father is the settlor and trustee of the Revocable Trust. I am the beneficiary and I also have power of attorney. It would seem to be from the language above that I could in fact alter any aspect of the trust once I enact power of attorney because A) it's a revocable trust, NOT an irrevocable trust and B) Because I am not the settlor.

Please Advise

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Charles Adam Shultz

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to see an attorney. First, you must exercise your power as a fiduciary meaning in your dad's best interest and pursuant to what your reasonably belieVe he would want. You can't jsut take his money while he is still living because you want to.

    On the trust, the trust must authorize that the agent have the power to amend or revoke nothwithstanding the poa. Its not automatic.

    Also when you say enact I assume you mean your dad executed the poa when he had capacity and you are talking about determination of incapacity as provided in the document.

    The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or... more
  2. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Please be very careful here. Before doing anything, retain an experienced estate planning attorney who can review the documents and determine your rights and duties under the power of attorney. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor... more
  3. Denise Leydon Harvey


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I fully agree with these other attorneys. I would also add that, if you are considering withdrawing these assets in order to get your father's assets reduced for purposes of Medicaid eligibility, you could be doing great harm. Please speak with a local attorney for guidance in this matter.

    Please note: The above is for general information purposes only. It is not intended to establish and does not... more

Related Topics

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.

Estate planning and power of attorney

A power of attorney is a legal document giving another person the right to act on your behalf in various situations, within the limits set out by the document.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,375 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,375 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering