Does my DUI arrest deports me while my GC renewal ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Montgomery, AL

I was arrested DUI and convicted and spend 30 days in jail. It was 6 years ago. now I need to apply for my GC renewal. Do they deport me for this arrest and 30 days jail?

1. Brian Joseph Lockwood

Pro

4

Answered . This is not a criminal defense / dwi question. It is an immigration law question. That being said, a misdemeanor offense is USUALLY not enough to require removal. This assumes that the offense in question was a misdemeanor and not a felony. That being said, because a DUI in Alabama carries a POSSIBLE penalty of 1 year in jail, the analysis needs to be expanded. There is an apparent consensus that DUI is not a crime involving moral turpitude. This has not (to the best of my recollection) been finally decided. Thus, if an immigration judge found that DUI is a crime involving moral turpitude and it is punishable you one year in jail, the conviction could affect admissibility status.

To be on the safe side, I recommend consulting with an immigration attorney as soon as possible.

2. Ethan Patrick Meaney

Pro

1

Answered . Contact an immigration attorney to discuss deporatation issues. Good luck.

3. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

1

Answered . I definitely suggest consulting with an immigration attorney. While you conviction probably won't result in deportation, hiring an immigration attorney will make the process much smoother. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen