Does my daughter need to get a lawyer because a drunk driver caused a bad accident?

Thorndike, ME |

My daughter, 43, was hit head on by a repeat offender drunk driver who was arrested at the scene. Both cars were totalled. She was shaken up, went to the ER, and seems OK. However, he was uninsured. We found out today that she has to pay for her rental car as she doesn't have rental insurance.. I am afraid that she will end up with too little money from her insurance to buy a suitable replacement car. She is a single parent of 2 girls and barely makes ends meet. I am nervous about suggesting a lawyer. How would she pay and we know the driver has nothing to go after.

As a personal injury attorney here in Maine I can tell you that there may be at least two possible ways to recover here. There may be a claim against the person who served alcohol to the drunk driver and there is an Uninsured Motorist claim. Both claims need to be looked at right away, especially the claim against the alcohol server. A Maine personal injury attorney will only charge a fee if money can be collected.

She should consult with a personal injury attorney in ME. Most initial consultations are free and attorneys will usually work on a contingent fee, or percentage of the settlement. If she has uninsured motorist coverage this would be another avenue to explore.

Merry Fountain is licensed to practice law in Indiana. She can be contacted at 1-888-242-HURT. This is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. It is legal education intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. If the question does not include important timeframes and facts the answer could change. Merry Fountain strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state.

Does she have Uninsured Motorist coverage? Maybe there is a dram shop claim. There are avenues to be explored and attorneys work on a contingency fee so she can afford it.

Contingency fee can be arranged with a personal injury attorney (no recovery, no fee) Call NOW

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

As others have said, it's best to call a Maine injury lawyer. Many will give a free consultation and will know the best route to take to maximize recovery. This isn't something you should try to do on your own. All the best.

Yes

You would be giving your daughter good advice to suggest she find a good personal injury lawyer. Personal Injury lawyers work on a contingency fee which means your daughter pays nothing unless the lawyer wins compensation for her. A good personal injury lawyer will explore avenues of compensation you may not have considered. Personal Injury lawyers also offer a free consultation to determine if you have a case. Your daughter has nothing to lose in having a Personal Injury lawyer review her case. Click on the link below to see What to Look for in a Good Personal Injury Lawyer.

DUI accidents topics