Does my boyfriend have to pay child support even if he is living with me?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tiffin, OH

I'm on WIC and I am unemployed. My boyfriend works but the way his work is, they don't have a schedule or anything like that since it's in lawn care. They work when the weather is good. He gets paid 10 dollars a hour. He is still going to help pay for the baby and everything, I just don't want him to be helping with the baby and buying her things and then turn around and have to pay child support on top of that. Is he still going to have to pay child support even if he lives with me? Or, is there any way out of paying child suppport?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Answered . It sounds as though you haven't yet had the baby. If that's the case, then it's unlikely he would have to pay child support. You just wouldn't ask for it. However, you should know that the Child Support Agency can also request a hearing on child support. This usually happens if the baby is receiving government benefits.

    If child support has already been ordered, it doesn't matter that your boyfriend lives with you. An order is an order. In that case, you would have to go the CSEA and ask for a modification of his child support order.

    The responses of Attorney Benjamin Partee to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-Client... more
  2. Answered . Part of the chlid support order is the "cash medical support" component. This is the amount that is paid to the county Dept. of Health and Human Services to partially reimburse for the child being on a public health services card. If the child is covered by private health insurance and you are not receiving other governmental benefits, you can refuse child support and they will terminate the order, otherwise he will have to pay child support.

    IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Mr. Piper's response set forth above is not legal advice and it does not create an... more

Related Topics

Child support

Child support is a payment made from one parent to another parent (usually from non-custodial to custodial), to help ensure the child's financial needs are met.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,111 answers this week

3,682 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,111 answers this week

3,682 attorneys answering