Does my boyfriend have to pay child support even if he is living with me?

Tiffin, OH |

I'm on WIC and I am unemployed. My boyfriend works but the way his work is, they don't have a schedule or anything like that since it's in lawn care. They work when the weather is good. He gets paid 10 dollars a hour. He is still going to help pay for the baby and everything, I just don't want him to be helping with the baby and buying her things and then turn around and have to pay child support on top of that. Is he still going to have to pay child support even if he lives with me? Or, is there any way out of paying child suppport?

1. It sounds as though you haven't yet had the baby. If that's the case, then it's unlikely he would have to pay child support. You just wouldn't ask for it. However, you should know that the Child Support Agency can also request a hearing on child support. This usually happens if the baby is receiving government benefits.

If child support has already been ordered, it doesn't matter that your boyfriend lives with you. An order is an order. In that case, you would have to go the CSEA and ask for a modification of his child support order.

The responses of Attorney Benjamin Partee to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-Client relationship. Attorney Partee is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Partee is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the asker.

2. Part of the chlid support order is the "cash medical support" component. This is the amount that is paid to the county Dept. of Health and Human Services to partially reimburse for the child being on a public health services card. If the child is covered by private health insurance and you are not receiving other governmental benefits, you can refuse child support and they will terminate the order, otherwise he will have to pay child support.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Mr. Piper's response set forth above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Piper's responses to all questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information based upon the his understanding of the facts stated in the question, and are for the general educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. Also, a particular case may involve additional facts and circumstances which might invalidate some or all of the concepts provided in this answer and therefore you should not rely upon this answer in any individual situation. In order to offer legal advice about this or any similar situation, a qualified attorney would likely need to consider many factors not stated in the question and would need to question the potential client in order to clarify the specific facts operable in that case. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney in your state. Mr. Piper is licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio, and may be contacted directly via email at: piperlawoffice@gmail.com.