Does my 14 year old son have to talk to or visit his father, who has visitation privileges, if he doesn't want to do so?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Birmingham, AL

His father is emotionally abusive and is bipolar. My son simply doesn't want anything to do with him. I have in NO way told him that he couldn't visit his father or dissuaded him from doing so. I have allowed him to make his own choice as I can't physically force my son to do anything. We have proof of my ex's abuse.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . If your ex-husband has been awarded
    visitation, you should encourage your son to spend time with his father. However, if your son is being abused, you should notify the proper authorities. Your son can still have visitation with his dad; but it may be supervised.

    In Alabama, if the court gives a parent visitation, that parent is entitled to visitation unless it can be proven that it is not in the beat interest of the child.

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Visitation rights in child custody agreements

Child visitation refers to non-custodial parents' rights to visit their children. These rights are commonly detailed in a visitation plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,861 answers this week

3,625 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,861 answers this week

3,625 attorneys answering