Does my 14 year old son have to talk to or visit his father, who has visitation privileges, if he doesn't want to do so?

Asked over 1 year ago - Birmingham, AL

His father is emotionally abusive and is bipolar. My son simply doesn't want anything to do with him. I have in NO way told him that he couldn't visit his father or dissuaded him from doing so. I have allowed him to make his own choice as I can't physically force my son to do anything. We have proof of my ex's abuse.

1. Gail Lindley Andrews

Answered . If your ex-husband has been awarded
    visitation, you should encourage your son to spend time with his father. However, if your son is being abused, you should notify the proper authorities. Your son can still have visitation with his dad; but it may be supervised.

In Alabama, if the court gives a parent visitation, that parent is entitled to visitation unless it can be proven that it is not in the beat interest of the child.