Does Michigan law allow the reopening of a divorce settlement made and executed in good faith almost 10 years ago?

Asked over 1 year ago - Moline, IL

My wife and I were divorced on 7/15/2003 in Michigan. We used the Consent Divorce procedures since we had no significant disagreements and just wanted to move on with our lives. At the time we both agreed to split our total assets down the middle (50% each) since we felt we contributed roughly equally to their acquisition. In January of 2013 she contacted me stating that she is now unhappy with the settlement and thinks she should have got more! Does Michigan Law allow that she can reopen this case after so much time has passed? We had 2 adult children who were not involved in the settlement.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

Answered . Most likely not, there will need to be a materail change in circumstances for her to file a modification type action further your divorce agreement may provide that neither of you can alter portions of it, the only variable would be if she alleged fraud. take care.

2. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

Answered . I do not think she has any hope of reopening the case.

3. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . This is actually best answered by a Michigan attorney, but it is EXTREMELY unlikely a 10 year old divorce judgement can be reopened or modified regarding property only.

4. Howard M Lewis

Pro