Does Ma, have a statute of limitations for the state to collect taxes from an unfiled return?

Asked over 1 year ago - Winchester, MA

2000, I did not file a state return. Was living in FL in the military then, and ran into some criminal trouble. I came back to MA in 2011, and they put a levy on my bank account last year and this year. I had tax with holdings out of my checks back then, never owed taxes before, and they would not send me their copies of my W-2's to show I should not have owed the taxes. They have put a levy on my account again. The assessment is for 2000 with it originating in 2003. It seems 10-13 yrs is too long to take action to collect.

1. Eric P Rothenberg

Pro

6

Answered . There is no statute of limitations on assessment for a tax return that has never been filed. But they cannot assess you without explanation but they can base your return on income earned in prior years and even assess income higher than prior years based upon the notion that you make more each year. You should be able to establish the correct amount via the IRS or your own records or those who paid you (employers for ex.). I suggest highly that you engage a tax lawyer to help you get the real information so you can figure out the true return amount.

Eric P. Rothenberg, P.C.
    ORSI ARONE ROTHENBERG
    160 Gould Street-Suite 320
    Needham, MA 02494-2300
    Tel: 781-239-8900
    Fax: 781-658-2203
    www.oarlawyers.com

Follow my Tweets at http://twitter.com/Tax_Esq

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS in Circular 230, we inform you that, unless we expressly state otherwise in this communication (including any attachments), any tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or other matter addressed herein.

2. George M. Megaloudis

2

Answered . Talk to a tax lawyer and gather the info to file a tax return.... Statute of limitations doesn't exist on a failure to file....

3. Evan A Nielsen

2

Answered . My colleague is correct - the statute of limitations doesn't start until you file the return.