Does law on succession in CA have a concept of legitime?

Redondo Beach, CA |

My mother place all her properties in a living trust. I'm afraid she will take me out of it and totally disinherit me. Is there legitime in the succession law of CA? I came from a civil law country and we have a concept of legitime. If there is none in CA, is there anything in CA succession law that prohibits a decedent to totally disinherit a child?

A parent may disinherit a child in CA. In fact, it is done all the time. The only requirement that must be satisfied is the intention of the parent to disinherit. An omitted child (one not mentioned in the will or testamentary document) may have certain rights. See, Probate Code sections 21620-21623.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

BTW, as a CA lawyer, I had never heard the term legitime before your post and had to look it up. The reason I participate here: it's an education.

You gave a great answer. I get a lot of education here too.

You never heard of it simply because its only present in Louisiana (according to the post below) and nowhere else in US law.

A parent can disinherit a child in California. Nothing in statute or case law prohibits it.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

California does not have that concept.

Louisiana, because of its civil law history, is the only state in the nation with the concept of legitime, but it has been modified to provide for forced heirship only for heirs of the first degree who are under the age of 24, or incapable of taking care of their own affairs.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates