Does landlord have to upon request of tenant test a rental unit for asbestos, share results, & not perform work if any present?

Asked 7 months ago - San Diego, CA

Does an owner/landlord of a 5 unit rental property in San Diego, Ca who has no knowledge of any asbestos in any of the units (but imagines the building is old enough to possibly contain some) have to comply with a request by a tenant to test his unit for asbestos and present the results of the test before doing work the landlord deems necessary (e.g. installing a heating unit)? Further, would the landlord be prevented from doing work if any asbestos is present, or must he simply observe certain standards for the handling of materials that could potentially have such substances (e.g. walls) but not avoid working on them altogether? Many thanks!

1. Golnar Sargeant

Answered . There are disclosures that the landlord has to make and have you sign for lead and asbestos. Consult a landlord/tenant attorney right away. Use the "find a lawyer" tool.