Does Kansas have waive filing fees in bankruptcy?

Topeka, KS |

I am thinking about filing bankruptcy I got served to appear in court for a credit card I cant pay what is owed. I can't even afford to pay for an attorney or the filing fee. I got a divorced a few years ago and I got 2 low credit cards. If I file bankruptcy do I have to list those in my bankruptcy or can I keep them. I will be filing chapter 7.

The waiver of fees is federal, under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, and so this applies in every state. I have provided a link at the bottom of this answer to the actual bankruptcy court form, number B3B, which also has the appropriate instructions.

However, I do not advise filing a bankruptcy without an attorney, there are too many complexities in the law and the procedure.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

As stated above, you can request the Court to waive the filing fee. You should have legal counsel if you are filing for bankruptcy; contact the Court to see if there are any pro bono services in your area. You must list all of your debts on the petition. It will be up to the issuer to determine if you can keep them. The bankruptcy will be listed on your credit report and they will know of it.

The fee waiver would depend on your income level. You have to be under 150% of the poverty level. I frequently help individuals in this situations for no fee. You will need to list all of your debts. Feel free to contact me to discuss.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt