Does it really matter if a person is charged as a juvenile or adult?

Asked about 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

Is there really a difference? I just requested a copy of my personal record from the police department, and I have a charge showing up under "adult criminal records" even though it happened as a juvenile.

Additional information

** just to be a little bit clearer, it says... "This certification is applicable to adult criminal records..."

Which is what is confusing to me since it's supposed to be a juvenile record.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Erick Masten Platten


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The difference is substantial. You need to hire an attorney to see how your case was handled to help with your record.


    Erick Platten

    Platten Law Office

  2. Anthony Michael Solis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It makes a big difference in the way defendants are treated, how they are sentenced and how their records are kept.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT... more
  3. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I strongly suggest that you contact a reputable attorney in your area who practices both adult criminal and juvenile law and have that attorney review the documents you speak of and give you an evaluation based on the specifics of the situation. Shouldn't cost much...may even be something that could be done in the first visit. And for most criminal defense lawyers that's free.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,038 answers this week

2,891 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,038 answers this week

2,891 attorneys answering