Does it really matter if a person is charged as a juvenile or adult?

Dallas, TX |

Is there really a difference? I just requested a copy of my personal record from the police department, and I have a charge showing up under "adult criminal records" even though it happened as a juvenile.

** just to be a little bit clearer, it says... "This certification is applicable to adult criminal records..." Which is what is confusing to me since it's supposed to be a juvenile record.

It makes a big difference in the way defendants are treated, how they are sentenced and how their records are kept.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. The difference is substantial. You need to hire an attorney to see how your case was handled to help with your record.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten

Platten Law Office

3. I strongly suggest that you contact a reputable attorney in your area who practices both adult criminal and juvenile law and have that attorney review the documents you speak of and give you an evaluation based on the specifics of the situation. Shouldn't cost much...may even be something that could be done in the first visit. And for most criminal defense lawyers that's free.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Juvenile law topics