Does it really matter if a person is charged as a juvenile or adult?

Asked about 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

Is there really a difference? I just requested a copy of my personal record from the police department, and I have a charge showing up under "adult criminal records" even though it happened as a juvenile.

** just to be a little bit clearer, it says... "This certification is applicable to adult criminal records..."

Which is what is confusing to me since it's supposed to be a juvenile record.

1. Erick Masten Platten

Pro

3

Answered . The difference is substantial. You need to hire an attorney to see how your case was handled to help with your record.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten

Platten Law Office

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . It makes a big difference in the way defendants are treated, how they are sentenced and how their records are kept.

3. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . I strongly suggest that you contact a reputable attorney in your area who practices both adult criminal and juvenile law and have that attorney review the documents you speak of and give you an evaluation based on the specifics of the situation. Shouldn't cost much...may even be something that could be done in the first visit. And for most criminal defense lawyers that's free.