Does it matter what type of theft you have benn charged with that they can enhance you with

i have a state jail felony for three thefts of property convictions and recently recieved a theft but not of property can they enhance it with one prior theft conviction

San Angelo, TX -

Cynthia Russell Henley

Cynthia Russell Henley

Criminal Defense Attorney - Houston, TX

The type of theft does not matter; even if the value of your theft is of a misdemeanor amount, it can be enhanced to a felony. Moreover, some thefts are felonies regardless of the value of the item (or service).

Cynthia Henley
713-222-1220

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Criminal Defense Attorney - Dallas, TX

They can enhance it with any type of theft convictions. Your attorney will review the enhancements to make sure they are valid.

Douglas Holbrook

Douglas Holbrook

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Diego, CA

It is your prior criminal history, not the type of theft that is going to be the problem. Experienced defense counsel is going to be essential.

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

Criminal Defense Attorney - Louisville, KY

You need to hire a criminal defense attorney in your area ASAP. The fact you are a convicted felon, makes this newest charge more dangerous, especially if you are concurrently on probation or parole. I don't practice in TX, so I'll defer to the other avvo lawyers here that may respond and defer to them.