Does it make any sense to report this auto mishap to the insurance company?

Howell, NJ |

Grandson hit concrete pad that a sign was implanted in. The collision with the concrete caused $2000 woth of damage to the car's undercarriage, tire, wheel and bumper. There was no damage to the sign or any person or property. Grandson is age 20 and insurance cost is already high.

Since there is no damage to any person or property other than your own vehicle, the question or reporting the accident to the insurance company becomes really a question of money. The first question you must ask is whether your car is driveable and can survive long term without repairing the damage. If yes, then you may not want to report it or fix it. If no, then you have to decide depending on your deductible and the potential increase in premium. In other words, if your deductible is $500 and your premium will only increase $100, then it is worth reporting it to the insurer. As long as it was truly an accident, the insurer will pay $1400 and you will pay $600 out of your pocket to fix the problem. If your deductible is $1500 and your premium will increase $500, then, no, it is not worth reporting the problem. You will save the increase in premium, but you will have to pay the repairs out of your pocket. Does that make sense?

2. If he can afford to repair the damage and make the car safe without the help of insurance money, you don't have to report it to your insurance company. At this point you have no information that anyone would be making a liability claim against him, so I don't think you are endangering coverage by not reporting the incident.

3. If no damage was done to the property and no one was injured in the accident, then it does not have to be reported to the insurance company. Insurance, in this situation, would be used to cover the costs for repairs on the vehicle. If all required repairs can be covered out of pocket, then proceed without contacting your insurance company.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

4. Always report every accident, or it will come back to bite you.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com