Does it look bad if I don't agree to more visitation?

Saint Petersburg, FL |

My ex husband has moved from AK to GA, and after we agreed to summer visitation he is now asking for every other weekend as well. Our sons are involved in sports, and I know he will not support that and take them to their games on the weekends. I don't want their routines to be disrupted. I want to know if a judge will frown upon me if I don't make an agreement with him?

You may want to suggest mediation and work toward an agreement where your former husband would have timesharing on long weekends. Otherwise, 5+ hours each way seems very long for weekend timesharing. The court is not going to frown on you for not reaching an agreement. That is different than appearing to be unreasonable in hearings before the judge.

I suggest that you look at the long distance parenting plan form before mediation and that you consult with an experienced family law attorney. He is a link for the form:

The above post is not intended as specific legal advice, since not all pertinent facts are known to the posting attorney. This answer does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

Eileen D. Jacobs, Esq.
Office: 2505 W. Virginia Avenue
Tampa, FL 33607
(813) 877-9600
Mailing: P.O. Box 14953
Clearwater, Florida 33766-4953
(727) 787-6595

No, I don't think a judge will frown upon you for not agreeing to more visitation. I agree with my colleague that possibly an alternative solution might be reached. That would be best for everyone but it doesn't mean you take a bad deal.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

I do not believe you are being unreasonable here or that a judge would frown upon it. Under the umbrella of "best interests of the minor child" - this sounds like it would be conducive to that goal. But as my colleagues suggested, you may want to be proactive in terms of being open to the idea of additional time sharing when possible.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

You should agree (at least in part), and have it reduced to writing.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody