Does it look bad if I don't agree to more visitation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

My ex husband has moved from AK to GA, and after we agreed to summer visitation he is now asking for every other weekend as well. Our sons are involved in sports, and I know he will not support that and take them to their games on the weekends. I don't want their routines to be disrupted. I want to know if a judge will frown upon me if I don't make an agreement with him?

1. Eileen D. Jacobs

2

Answered . You may want to suggest mediation and work toward an agreement where your former husband would have timesharing on long weekends. Otherwise, 5+ hours each way seems very long for weekend timesharing. The court is not going to frown on you for not reaching an agreement. That is different than appearing to be unreasonable in hearings before the judge.

I suggest that you look at the long distance parenting plan form before mediation and that you consult with an experienced family law attorney. He is a link for the form: http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms...

The above post is not intended as specific legal advice, since not all pertinent facts are known to the posting attorney. This answer does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

Eileen D. Jacobs, Esq.
    Office: 2505 W. Virginia Avenue
    Tampa, FL 33607
    (813) 877-9600
    Mailing: P.O. Box 14953
    Clearwater, Florida 33766-4953
    (727) 787-6595

2. William Charles Rosenfelt

1

Answered . No, I don't think a judge will frown upon you for not agreeing to more visitation. I agree with my colleague that possibly an alternative solution might be reached. That would be best for everyone but it doesn't mean you take a bad deal.

3. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

Answered . I do not believe you are being unreasonable here or that a judge would frown upon it. Under the umbrella of "best interests of the minor child" - this sounds like it would be conducive to that goal. But as my colleagues suggested, you may want to be proactive in terms of being open to the idea of additional time sharing when possible.

4. John Arthur Smitten

Answered . You should agree (at least in part), and have it reduced to writing.