Does it really matter the kind of clothes we wear for the green card marriage interview ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

We have an interview next week, and we are pretty much prepared for everything,i know it sounds a bit silly but I am just worried about what kind of clothes to wear,as my husband wears his jeans all the time, is this really important ?do they pay attention to stuff like that ? what to wear ?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

1

Answered . He should dress well, and show respect for the examiner.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . No jeans, please, as it symbolizes lack of respect towards the adjudicating officer. First impressions are what counts most. I always recommend that clients dress as if going to a job interview. Casual elegant is OK, bit do not wear a coat and tie if you are a cook or auto mechanic. It will look phony and create the impression that you are trying to fool the officer. Just dress clean, natural and not too casual if you can help it.

A few years ago I took two couples from Israel to an interview at the US consulate in Calgary, Canada. While having dinner together and talking about the dress code for the consular interview the next morning it turned out that one of the clients did not have a long sleeved short, or a shirt, period, which proved very embarrassing, to say the least.. I sent him and his wife scrambling to a Canadian department store to buy one.. He couldn't find his size he said.. You should have seen the consular officer's face the next morning..

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . No, but you would not come to a formal interview with a federal agent dressed in a bathing suite? Would you?

4. Alicia Marie Perez

2

Answered . Since you are in Houston, I will comment that here people normally wear all manner of clothes. Jeans have never caused any problems that I've seen. The most important thing in my opinion is being friendly, open and respectful to the officer. They are more disturbed by people who seem like they are evading answers, evading eye contact, impolite, rude, etc. than their clothes.

Also, not all people can dress up for these things. Just dress respectfully and be respectful and you'll be great!

Don't forget all of your original documents, identification and proof of your relationship. Bring your photo album for them to flip through. Be on time. That is more important than anything.

5. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

3

Answered . Dress as if the interview is important to you. Perhaps, like you would for a job interview.