Does Illinois protect me if I am pregnant and get fired for it?

Chicago, IL |

I had a contract with a temp agency and in the contract was that I would get full employment at the end of the temp contract. I did very well, great performance reviews. I told them I had become pregnant and was immediately fired. Can I sue my employer for firing me because I was pregnant? They did not say "You are fired because you are pregnant" but it is obvious, at least in my eyes, that is what it was for.

Yes, you are protected. The timing is awfully coincidental. Did they provide you with a pretext? You'll need to show that your pregnancy truly motivated their decision.

chenkasher@gmail.com
chenkasherlaw.vpweb.com
(773) 853-3062

This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship between us.

Illinois does protect against pregnancy discrimination as does federal law. You should contact an employment lawyer in Illinois immediately to discuss your situation.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and should not be relied on as legal advice. You should be aware that no attorney-client relationship is established through this answer and none will be established without a personal consultation and the signing of an engagement agreement.

Both state and federal law prohibit discharges based on pregnancy. Of course, you still have to prove that their decision was based on your pregnancy, and not on some other legitimate reason. I suggest you speak to an experienced employment lawyer as soon as possible as the time limit for filing a discrimination claim can be very short. Most of us employment lawyers will provide a free consultation.

Recommended articles about Employment