Does highway patrol have jurisdiction at the exit of freeways?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I took an exit that curves and it was jammed so I lost my patience and tried to cut through to the end of the lane which expands and goes three ways. I was already in the right lane and I had to partially drive on the emergency lane to the end of it. I was behind a big truck at the curve of the exit and couldn't see in front of me. I basically ended up parking myself right behind a highway patrol that had already pulled someone else over, of course with no room to go back into my lane. You can guess happen next. :) I was at the off ramp, do they have jurisdiction in that area? Thanks in advance!

1. Chris J Feasel

3

Answered . Yes

2. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

2

Answered . Yes- CHP has jurisdiction over all highways. You still might want to consider fighting ticket and hope that officer does not show at trial.

Andrew Roberts

3. Nicholas Milan Loncar

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, CHP does have jurisdiction in the scenario you described. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate situation. Hopefully it's not too high of a fine, but you can still try to fight the ticket. It was killing two birds with one stone for the cop, I guess.