Does highway patrol have jurisdiction at the exit of freeways?

I took an exit that curves and it was jammed so I lost my patience and tried to cut through to the end of the lane which expands and goes three ways. I was already in the right lane and I had to partially drive on the emergency lane to the end of it. I was behind a big truck at the curve of the exit and couldn't see in front of me. I basically ended up parking myself right behind a highway patrol that had already pulled someone else over, of course with no room to go back into my lane. You can guess happen next. :) I was at the off ramp, do they have jurisdiction in that area? Thanks in advance!

Yes- CHP has jurisdiction over all highways. You still might want to consider fighting ticket and hope that officer does not show at trial.

Andrew Roberts

Mr. Feasel is a former prosecutor in San Mateo County (CA) with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Feasel to further investigate your situation, feel free to contact him thru this site.

Yes, CHP does have jurisdiction in the scenario you described. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate situation. Hopefully it's not too high of a fine, but you can still try to fight the ticket. It was killing two birds with one stone for the cop, I guess.