Does he have a strong case to take me to small court?

Asked 4 months ago - Orange, NJ

I had a car accident a couple of months ago and I was in 100% fault. The other driver had body damage to his car. My car insurance, only paid 40% of the other driver’s damages. His car is 12 years old. It seems to me that the car insurance did some depreciation calculation on his car and that’s why they are paying such a low amount. The other driver has contacted me, explaining the hard time he is having with my insurance and everything he has done to get paid for the damages. He is a very polite gentleman and he stated that taking me to court is his last option, but he is determine to get the full money to cover the bodyshop estimates he received. I understand his point that the money paid by the insurance company is so low that any bodyshop will do a half ass job to repair his car if the

Attorney answers (4)

  1. William J Popovich

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . New Jersey has no-fault insurance. You should do everything through your insurance company. Very unlikely that he can sue for this, but ask the insurance company whether they will provide a lawyer if he does sue.

    This should not be considered legal advice and is intended for educational purposes only. It does not constitute a... more
  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Simply turn it over to your insurance company to resolve if he does.

  3. Michael T Warshaw

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . When he sues you turn case over to your insurance company.

    The content of the this submission is intended to provide general information on the topic presented, and is... more
  4. Anthony Francis Belotta

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In the event that the person files a lawsuit against you, I would immediately forward the Complaint to your insurance agent and/or insurance company directly. Your insurance company would then retain an attorney with no charge to you and the attorney would defend you in the court case. Best of luck to you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,101 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,101 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering