Does having power of attorney make me resposible for the persons debt, medical bills, credit card bills etc?

Asked over 5 years ago - Fort Myers, FL

does having power of attorney make me resposible for the persons debt, medical bills, credit card bills etc?

1. Gust G Sarris

Answered . Never. However you should know several things about POAs . 1. The power exists only when the person is living. If they die you cannot continue to sign checks, etc. This means a POA should not be used as an estate planning tool. 2. You must act responsibly with this ability. 3. It can be limited such as the ability to sign my closing documents for a house purchase when I am out of town. 4. Don't make commitments to others that have you acting as a guarantor or being personally responsible as well. I hope this helps!

2. Gust G Sarris

Answered . Never. However you should know several things about POAs . 1. The power exists only when the person is living. If they die you cannot continue to sign checks, etc. This means a POA should not be used as an estate planning tool. 2. You must act responsibly with this ability. 3. It can be limited such as the ability to sign my closing documents for a house purchase when I am out of town. 4. Don't make commitments to other that have you acting as a guarantor or being personally responsible as well. I hope this helps!

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . No, not unless you somehow guarantee the debts of the estate. The estate assets pay the debts of the estate such as remaining medical bills, funeral bills etc... should the person be deceased . If the credit card companies are saying otherwise you should contact a lawyer about that as this may well be an illegal debt collection practice. If the person is still living, you do have a fiduciary responsibility to protect the person's financial well being but not from your own money.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.