Does having a pregnant employee cost an employer more when it comes to health Insurance?

Chicago, IL |

I feel employers terminate pregnant employees beause of health insurance reasons. I need more details as to how that works. I was told I would receive a write up for using the company's phone instead I was discharged. Same day my insurance was canceled.

Gender discrimination is illegal

Being fired, though, for using the company phone, is not gender related.

I want to know more about the insurance questioned I asked....

Typo question*

Alan laid it out well.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with Alan 100%.

Don't forget to check "Helpful" if I helped you out. This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and is based on the limited information available at the time of the response. Before acting on anything stated or referenced in this response you should consult with an attorney of your choosing and go over the specific details of your legal circumstances. My responses are also given in the context of the laws of the State of Louisiana. To the extent this comment involves principles of law governed by another state my comment merely reflects my opinion and should not be considered legal advice.

Being an Insurance Lawyer I would like to know more about employers possibly discharging pregnant employees due to a higher cost of their health Insurance.

Craig Bernard Mitchell

Craig Bernard Mitchell

This is really a question for an employment and labor lawyer. What it comes down to is that it is illegal but has to be proven. If proven there is a possibility those wrongfully terminated can receive damages. If the question is about how the insurance companies set premiums, I can't answer that.

If you can show there are other employees who have not been terminated for using the phone or have received warning prior to termination, you may be able to prove discrimination. I would suggest contacting the EEOC if this were the case.

When I called eeoc I wad told that they couldn't help mewith the issue because I was dealing with a Lawyer at the time... what do I do now?

Tara Leigh Goodwin

Tara Leigh Goodwin

You can also file a complaint with the Illinois Department of Human Rights.

Recommended articles about Employment