Does h1b time continue after a sabbatical?

Asked 10 months ago - Flushing, NY

I have finished 4 yrs on my h1b. For personal reasons, I need to quit my job. I plan to return to the us on f2 visa category. If I were to quit my job now, after 2 yrs sabbatical can I continue to work on h1b filed by a new employer since I will have 2 years out of my 6 yrs on h1b remaining? Can that employer also sponsor my green card at that time?

1. Lisa R. Brenman

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . The answer is 'yes' to both questions. You can use the remaining two years in your next H-1b petition as long as there are no immigration or other violations in your history. Additionally, your next employer can sponsor you for your H-1b and your green card at the same time. I wish you the best. Hopefully, the employer's immigration attorney will have experience in both types of matters.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

Yes, if done correctly, you can recapture time.

BUT, it might be more difficult to get the F-2 than you think.

Talk to a lawyer about the potential problems involved.

3. Harry Asatrian

Answered . Yes.