Does GA marriage license serve as marriage certificate?

Asked over 1 year ago - Geneseo, NY

My husband and I are planning to apply for green card through marriage, but I realized that the immigration needs our marriage certificate. But we have only marriage license. I know this sounds like we haven't married yet, but GA marriage license states that "we were joined together in matrimony". We ARE married, right? But do we still need to get certificate in order to apply for green card, and if we do, would our marriage be recognized since the day we married or since the day we got the certificate? I'm so confused.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Maina. Definitely consult with a local immigration lawyer. I’m sorry, but my firm only handles personal injury cases.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755
  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Many states issue a marriage license and certificate in one document. The license will have a certain validity period during which you can marry. Once the marriage takes place, the person who officiated the marriage will then add that marriage information to the same license/certificate. It sounds as though you have this type of document. If so, you should be okay - you are married. Bear in mind though, that USCIS requires you provide the certified copy of the marriage certificate, in other words a certified copy of the certificate that has been recorded at the proper governmental office.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,766 answers this week

3,134 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,766 answers this week

3,134 attorneys answering