Does GA marriage license serve as marriage certificate?

Geneseo, NY |

My husband and I are planning to apply for green card through marriage, but I realized that the immigration needs our marriage certificate. But we have only marriage license. I know this sounds like we haven't married yet, but GA marriage license states that "we were joined together in matrimony". We ARE married, right? But do we still need to get certificate in order to apply for green card, and if we do, would our marriage be recognized since the day we married or since the day we got the certificate? I'm so confused.

Many states issue a marriage license and certificate in one document. The license will have a certain validity period during which you can marry. Once the marriage takes place, the person who officiated the marriage will then add that marriage information to the same license/certificate. It sounds as though you have this type of document. If so, you should be okay - you are married. Bear in mind though, that USCIS requires you provide the certified copy of the marriage certificate, in other words a certified copy of the certificate that has been recorded at the proper governmental office.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Thank you for your answer. I was actually able to reach the probate court where we got married and I was atold that although my license does prove we are actually married, we can also get a certificate. So I'm going to send a certificate to USCIS, but when we send copies of any kind of thing including the marriage certificate and bank statement, bills, etc, do they have to be an original copy or photocopy of the original copy? If I'm sending an original certificate to USCIS, should I get another certificate from the probate court for myself?

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

I would send photocopies - otherwise you will have a hard time getting back originals. You can always carry the originals to the interview for inspection and comparison to the photocopy.

Okay, thank you very much!

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

You are welcome. Good luck.

I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at http://www.shautsova.com .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova www.shautsova.com www.shautsova.com www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com

I agree with Maina. Definitely consult with a local immigration lawyer. I’m sorry, but my firm only handles personal injury cases.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Recommended articles about Immigration