Does GA have illegal eviction laws

Norcross, GA |

I am currently living with someone and Im not on the lease, I was told that I have to move within thirty days, I was told this on the 20th of August, I am leaving on the 15th. I was told that if I leave buy the 5th I wont have to pay anything, but if I stay I would have to pay the prorated amount. I have decided not to pay anything because moving was not my choice and I was blind sided. Could I my things be thrown out or kept and the locks changed while I'm not at home, (before the 15th)

Not legally, no. A landlord (or any sub-landlord of a sub-lease) has to file a dispossessory action to evict a tenant, which provides for service, a chance to respond and a court date. Regarding rent, you will be required to pay for the days are living there subject to any verbal agreement with your (sub-)landlord.

If you would like to discuss any issues further, please feel free to contact my office. My contact information is below. Thank you.

The foregoing is general information only, not specific legal advice. No attorney/client relation has been created or should be implied.

Landlord-tenant topics