Skip to main content

Does friend need an employment attorney?

Denver, CO |

Friend wants to review his personnel record with his current employer which is a private company. It is getting contentious apparently and may wind up in litigation. First step in his opinion is to obtain a copy of his personnel file. Can he do it in Colorado? Most states allow it, but don't know about CO.

Attorney Answers 1


Your fiend does need an employment attorney. The employer is not necessarily obligated to give out its entire file. Some of the materials might be protected. If it ends up in litigation, you can subpoena the employment records and I have regularly done that with great success. However, just like looking at your medical records, you do not have an absolute right to see your employment file

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Litigation topics

Recommended articles about Litigation

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics