Does Florida have a 3 strike law for felons?

Belleview, FL |
Filed under: Felony crime

Felony criminal mischief
Aggravated battery with a deadly weapon
V.o.p 2 yr probation

Florida Statute 775.084(c) is out version of the "3 strike law" (see: http://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2011/775.084 ), but it requires prior convictions, not multiple charges in the same case. Still, the same statute (and others) impose many sentencing enhancements, including but not limited to "minimum /mandatory" prison terms and "no gain time" provisions for repeat offenders, and most especially for violent repeat offenders.

That said, even without priors the charges that you have outlined are most serious and will likely result in aggressive prosecution. If you have been charged with the same then you should get into an experienced Bellview area criminal defense lawyers office asap.

Although I practice primarily in Miami-Dade County you are welcome to contact my office for a referral or two, or you can search either Avvo or the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers website by locality (please see http://www.facdl.org/ - and click on the "Find A Lawyer" tab).

I hope that this has been helpful and wish you the best of luck!

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

We don't typically call it a 3 strike law, we call it habitual felony offender or habitual violent felony offender. With certain crimes, we enhance the penalty after a few convictions for the same offense.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

You can be sentenced as a habitual felony offender IF you meet the statutory criteria (which is quite specific). Some crimes have enhancements after a third conviction (DUI comes to mind) or if other factors are present (sexual activity with a minor is full of them).

This is a very case-specific question. Speak with your attorney.

I am a Florida attorney who practices in the areas of personal injury, criminal defense, and civil rights. You can call me to arrange a free consultation about your case if it is in one of those three areas. My phone number is 407-463-3506. My answers on AVVO do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Your case must be evaluated in full in light of all all its complexities. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertising. Before you decide, ask the firm to send you free written information about the lawyer’s qualifications and experience.