Does Federal Courts modify sentences?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Kent, WA

I wanted to know if federal courts modify sentences for family emergency reasons. My brother was convicted of selling drugs sentenced to 8yrs. have 1yr left to do. My father is ill and in a circumstance that he needs to be moved out of the nursing home and my brother is the eldest child.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Adrian Martinez Madrone


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It would be pretty rare. But an attorney could try to petition the court for early or temporary release based on the family circumstances. Again though, it would be pretty rare that a federal court would allow for something like this.

  2. Syrie Davis Fried

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The federal courts no longer have any jurisdiction over your brother and the sentence he is serving. He is in the custody of the Bureau of Prisons, and your only remedy lies with them. There may be a federal statute that authorizes the BOP to grant an early release or a furlough of some kind, but I'm not certain at all. But you have no recourse in the courts at this point.

  3. Patrick Owen Earl


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . The better the reason, the more harsh the lesson for inmates, don't do the crime because you are going to miss out on some very important stuff on the outside. I have heard Judges say these type of things all the time. In the Federal courts I am sure it is the same.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,910 answers this week

3,460 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,910 answers this week

3,460 attorneys answering