Does everything on a juvenile record get sealed if the judge grants the petition?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I filed a petition to seal my record and the judge granted my petition today. Does this mean that everything in relation to my juvenile record is sealed or only what's on the petition? The reason I ask this is because I did a live scan a few months ago and two things came up on it. But when I went to the courthouse to get a copy of my arrest records, three things came up. I was told by the clerk that everything gets sealed once the judge grants my petition. But I just wanted to make sure because I want my entire juvenile record sealed, not just part of it. If anyone can give me some input that would be great.

1. Greg Thomas Hill

2

3

Answered . The seal should be just one court file. The one court file may not include "everything in relation to your juvenile record." There may be things related to your record that are not in the court file.

When you did Livescan and "two things came up," may be related to cases that were not subject to the petition.

To have your entire juvenile record sealed, you may want to file petitions for the other cases as well.

2. Ann Anat Gottesman

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Petition to seal a record is specific to a particular case. Filing a petition to seal for each juvenile matter should clear up your record.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with attorney Hill.