Does everyone who apply for adjustment of status through marriage have to file I-131 for travel form with all other forms ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, DE

I came to visit my uncle on visitor visa and overstayed for 4 years, now I am married to a USC and I am filing to adjust my status , i have never been outside US since i came here and i have no intend to travel overseas, do i need to file I-131 form even it's free ? and what's the point of filing it with the other forms ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . no, no point on your facts.

  2. Michael Paul Ruttle

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. If you have no intention of traveling outside the US, there's no point. If you ever change your mind you should consult with an immigration attorney.

    The above information does not constitute legal advice, and is intended only as general information. You should... more
  3. Elisheva G Mosko

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I agree with the other posters that you do not need to file an I-131. Further, I discourage traveling if with an approved I-131 until after permanent residency ("Green Card") is granted. Whenever you travel there are risks that you could experience trouble at a port of entry in addition to risks that your travel could be seen as an abandonment of your application for permanent residency.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,104 answers this week

3,341 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,104 answers this week

3,341 attorneys answering