Does EAD go invalid when changing Visa from F1 OPT to J2?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Will my EAD go invalid if I change my visa from F1 OPT to J2? My OPT ends in 3 months, can I apply for another EAD so I can continue working?

Thanks by advance

Additional information

Thanks a lot for your help. I understand that I have to ask for my EAD renewal as soon as I get my J2 visa.
The only thing I don't understand is that, can I continue working while being on J2 since my OPT EAD will still be valid?
Thanks by advance

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree. The proper way would be not to seek an answer to your title question Instead, file for EAD extension along with the COS request. This way you will get both and will not need to guess.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It is always a good idea to apply for the EAD card's extension at least 4 months before its expiration date.

    One of the conditions of applying for EAD as a J-2 is to be able to demonstrate that your spouse is not dependent on the income you'll make.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It si recommended to apply for an EAD extension 120 days before expiration so if you are changing to J-2 that would be a good reason to do this at the same time. You must show that your spouse is not dependent on your income though for the J-2. work card.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277

    Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,239 answers this week

2,235 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,239 answers this week

2,235 attorneys answering