Does EAD go invalid when changing Visa from F1 OPT to J2?

Asked 10 months ago - New York, NY

Will my EAD go invalid if I change my visa from F1 OPT to J2? My OPT ends in 3 months, can I apply for another EAD so I can continue working?

Thanks by advance

Thanks a lot for your help. I understand that I have to ask for my EAD renewal as soon as I get my J2 visa.
The only thing I don't understand is that, can I continue working while being on J2 since my OPT EAD will still be valid?
Thanks by advance

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

Pro

6

1

Answered . I agree. The proper way would be not to seek an answer to your title question Instead, file for EAD extension along with the COS request. This way you will get both and will not need to guess.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

1

Answered . It is always a good idea to apply for the EAD card's extension at least 4 months before its expiration date.

One of the conditions of applying for EAD as a J-2 is to be able to demonstrate that your spouse is not dependent on the income you'll make.

3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

2

1

Answered . It si recommended to apply for an EAD extension 120 days before expiration so if you are changing to J-2 that would be a good reason to do this at the same time. You must show that your spouse is not dependent on your income though for the J-2. work card.

--
    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law