Does Dream Act accept LINCOLN ACADEMY GED/DIPLOMA?

Asked 3 months ago - Newark, NJ

I applied to the dream act a year ago and got rejected, which frustrated me because i have been here since the age of 6 and never left the country nor did i ever stop going to school.
So i completed high school through Lincoln Academy, however i spoke to a lawyer and she mention they are not accepting it, and i should wait a month, its been 6 and now i was told to wait 30 days.

i honestly do not know what to do. Please, help!!

1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

1

Answered . The DACA does not have an exact list of acceptable educational institution, however, any recognized educational DED Diploma from such establishment may be recognized accordingly. If there are any issues with its acceptance, discuss with your counsel of record for further actions.

2. William J Popovich

Answered . From what I can see, there are claims on the Internet that Lincoln Academy is not accredited (though they claim they are) and therefore a diploma from that institution is not a valid one.
    According to FTC code 254.6, it is illegal to advertise a school is accredited, if said accreditation is by an organization that is no recognized by the CHEA and/or the DOE.
    The "National Home School Accrediting Association" is not on this list of valid accrediting associations, therefore schools it accredits do not give diplomas that are generally recognized as valid (though some schools or businesses might do so)
    http://www.chea.org/pdf/CHEA_USDE_AllAccred.pdf
    So, Lincoln Academy is careful in their advertising. They do not certify that they are accredited by anyone but the non-supported accrediting association they have, and they do not guarantee their GED will get you into a college - just that it "gives you the ability to apply" to such colleges - not that they will recognize your degree.
    So it seems your lawyer gave you good advice, and now you know what to look for in a GED. Just paying 300$ to someone who gives you an easy to get degree sounds too good to be true, and as it turns out it probably was.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

1

1

Answered . Unfortunately the lawyer you dealt with does not seem to have much DACA experience. USCIS will accept just about any school or educational institution - one does not even need to have graduated. As long as can prove to still be in school. You may one to be seeking a second opinion with another immigration lawyer who does have successful DACA experience and who knows all the rules.

4. Lawrence M. Kasen

Pro

1

Answered . My colleagues are correct. As long as the school is licensed to issue GEDs in your state, that should be fine. Consult an immigration lawyer familiar with DACA.