Does doing Obama's new immigration policy messes with getting a legal status??

Asked over 2 years ago - Islip, NY

i am well qualified for the president's new immigration policy but me and my bf wants to get married in December. if i do both at the same time do they mess with each other?? My BF will be leaving for army training next month and he will be gone for a while and i want to work and maybe go to school during that period of time he is gonna be away. Is it possible to do the new policy and get married and apply for a legal status without complication??

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The President's policy announcement should not interfere with somone's eligibility and/or ability to apply for permanent residence. That being said, if you qualify for residence, I would suggest you take that route.

    Once the rules are announced, which should be by mid-August, things should be clearer. You and your boyfriend may wish to consult with an experienced immigration attorney for further professional assistance and guidance.

    Good luck!

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. A... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague, you should consult a qualified Immigration Attorney before filing any applications, he/she will be able to review your case in depth an determine whether or not you are eligible for adjustment of status and/or deferred action.

    Morales Law Firm P.A. 2100 Coral Way Ste 703 Miami, FL 33145 (305) 851-7856 This response is not offered as... more
  3. Answered . If your BF is doing US Army Training ... you two had better talk to an immigration attorney immediately.

    People in the US without legal papers can't join the US Armed Forces.

    Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law -

    Our services are not limited by State, nor International bounderies. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
    Do not rely completely on information you get on any website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking action.

    Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or

    NOTE: If you are low income go here: or

    Capriotti International Law

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Leon Versfeld

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

The rule of thumb in US immigration status is:"You can not change status if you are not in status." This means that if your non-immigrant status has expired (i.e. B1-visitor), you can... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,065 answers this week

3,689 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,065 answers this week

3,689 attorneys answering