Does dmv issue a new title and send it?

Asked about 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I bought a used car from dealer in California ,and the dealer bought this car from out of state.the dealer lost the title before he went to dmv,but he contacted with auction.after that he could registrate the car by neam . I took the registration and the new plate , and he said dmv will send a new title to your mail . On the registration I found this word " lienholder" under my neam and my address. so
Does dmv send a new title to my mail?
Does dmv issue a new title and how long time it takes?
what does lienholder mean?
please answer my qoustion. than you

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Scott Richard Kaufman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . We'll gladly look at all docs for you at no charge. I think DMV can straighten this out for you, but, I think dealer may be in the wrong here and may have some answering to do.

  2. Christina Gill Roseman

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The fact that the dealer said he "lost" the title is suspicious. It is more likely that there was something negative on the title on the other state and he got a new title from DMV to "wash" or hide that negative information on the California title. I would suggest that you purchase a history on the vehicle at (cheaper than carfax) and if there is something roubling on there, consult a consumer law attorney in California.

    This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Ronald Lee Burdge

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Your questions are more practical than legal and probably are best answered by calling or visiting your local DMV office, frankly. If you need to talk to a local Consumer Law attorney in California near you, you can get a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click on this link ( and find one near you (lawyers don’t pay to get listed here and most of them are members of the only national association for Consumer Law lawyers, Scott Kaufman and Brett Shainfeld and Douglas Sohn frequently answer California questions. You can also look for one here on Avvo under the Find a Lawyer tab. Or you can call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Consumer Law attorney near you. But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to actually file a lawsuit in court or your rights expire (it's called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to a Consumer Law attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote UP” review below. And please be sure to indicate the best answer to your question so we can all be sure we are being helpful. Thanks for asking and Good Luck. Ron Burdge,

    Did a business treat you unfairly? See what your Udap rights are to protect yourself, click here

    For a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click here

    Click here to see what your state law says is unfair and deceptive and what your legal rights are

    Read this free online Avvo Legal Guide, What is Fraud?

    Learn the tricks of car sales fraud so you don’t get ripped off, Click Here

    Want to know how to ask a Consumer Fraud question so that you get the right answer quickly? Click Here

    This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,400 answers this week

3,227 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,400 answers this week

3,227 attorneys answering