Skip to main content

Does DHS have a right to refuse cancellation of bond even after Withholding of Removal was granted?

Sarasota, FL |

After being granted Withholding of Removal by the immigration judge, I contacted DHS to have my bond cancelled. I was told that bond will not be cancelled unless I leave the country or change my immigration status. I've never heard of such thing before. Are they even allowed by law to hold my bond even after I appeared before the judge for all court hearings and was granted withholding of removal?

Attorney Answers 3


Have you spoken with the bond department at USCIS/EOIR? Sometimes the local office may be difficult. I would first speak with the attorney who helped you get WOR. It seems that they should cancel the bond, since with WOR you are now in legal status. Perhaps your attorney can make a motion in immigration court by which the Immigration Judge can order the bond cancelled.
Best of lucK!

Avvo doesn't remunerate me for this response, and I'm only offering limited advice based on the few facts given me in your question. I am not your lawyer solely because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me or are interested in a low cost or free consultation, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. It's impossible to fully evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Mark as helpful


Yes, they are. Withholding of Removal means that you cannot be deported
to the Country in which the Court prohibited your deportation (usually
this is your home country). It does not mean that you cannot be
deported to another country that is willing to accept you, or to that
country from deportation was withheld in the future if country
conditions change. Hence ICE can keep the bond open in case it wants
the obligor to present you for deportation at a later date.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


They can. You may need to go to the court or to ICE and request the bond be cancelled and an ROR be issued .

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics