Does denying work from an agency stop my unemployment benefits?

Asked 7 months ago - Sunnyvale, CA

I was recently laid off and just started receiving unemployment. If I merely sign-up and file with temp/staffing agency and I'm very particular about my job search, can my unemployment benefits stop if I refuse any job offers provided by the agency? Even if I never commence working through them?

I'm not sure how the whole "denying work" functions/effects unemployment, but I'm apprehensive now more than ever about turning over any W4/I-9 documents.

Thanks for your help.

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

1

Answered . In order to be eligible to receive unemployment benefits, you must be available to accept work for which you are qualified to perform. It can be very risky for you to be particular about the job. If a job is offered to you, for which you are qualified and you reject it, without a very good reason for doing so, you run the risk of being disqualified for benefits. More problematic, if the EDD finds out, after you have been receiving benefits for awhile, that you have been rejecting job offers you do not like, the agency may demand you repay the benefits you have been receiving. Of course, if your work experience, skills and education are more in line with an executive position, you would not be expected to be a dishwasher. But if you turn down a job simply because you are apprehensive about a particular aspect of it but are otherwise qualified, you could have a problem. The way the EDD views it, it is better to be working than to be receiving unemployment benefits.

2. Patrick John Phillips

1

Answered . Unemployment benefits are not intended to subsidize a claimant's search for the ideal or perfect job. They are intended as a temporary safety net for individuals who find themselves unemployed "through no fault of their own."

If you turn down an offer of "suitable work," then you will likely forfeit your right to collect UI benefits. See here for a discussion of what qualifies as suitable work: http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Suitable_Work_SW_5....

Good luck in your job hunt.