Does criminal mischief involve dishonesty?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bronx, NY

does criminal mischief 4th degree (NY Penal 145.00) involve dishonesty?

what about 3rd degree (145.10)?
Is an ACD a pre-trial diversion?

1. Howard A. Schwartz

4

Answered . Criminal mischief has nothing to do with dishonesty. An ACD is an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal meaning the case will be dismissed and sealed in 6 months or less if the defendant complies with the
    Court am dates. Good luck.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Criminal mischief involves damaging someone else's property. ACD stands for Adjournment In Contemplation of Dismissal - the case gets adjourned for 6 months and then dismissed and sealed if no new arrests.

3. Carl Scott Spector

Pro

4

Answered . Crimes of theft such as larceny, shoplifting, unlawful use of credit cards and filing a false instrument such as filing a car accident report to collect insurance when there wasn't any accident are examples of crimes that involve dishonesty.
    Criminal mischief is the destruction of property of another with out permission.
    An ACD can certainly be considered pretrial diversion.

Good Luck-

4. John A. Fitzgerald

Pro

2

Answered . The difference in degrees turns on intent of the defendent. 3rd is intentionaly damages property, while 4th is recklessly damages property of another. Property crimes such as Petit larceny, fraud, and intentional distruction of property as well as others could be characterized as a type of theft; and therfore, possibly a crime of dishonesty. Violent crimes and possession crimes are not likely crimes of dishonesty. I would not think that Recklessness is a crime of dishonesty.
    ACD is the court giving you a second chance to keep a clean record. There is no supervision. Just keep out of trouble for 6 months.

5. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . You already have answers to the question you asked from fine New York attorneys. However, your question about dishonesty leads me to think that you are worried about immigration law consequences. If so, you need to alert your lawyer to this.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these Internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This Internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. Those facts should not be put on a public Internet site.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. See “more” link below for more.