Does credit card settlement the forgiven amount on 1099-C be discharge in chapter 7.

I have been agree settlement with the credit card company in the amount 25% what I was owned and I has paid the settlement amount. Credit card company will send me form 1099-C in the amount $7500 forgiven. I am planing to file ch7 does the $7500 will be discharge in bankruptcy? The settlement was before the chapter 7.

San Juan Capistrano, CA -

John Gerth Merna

John Gerth Merna

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney - Virginia Beach, VA

My colleagues are correct in that the settlement created a taxable event prior to the Chapter 7. However, if you list the credit card company and the IRS in your bankruptcy and the petition is filed in the same year you have two ways out of the tax liability. The IRS receives 1099s on an enormous amount of debt whether settled or just unpaid each year. By filing in the same tax year and listing both the IRS and the creditor I have found the IRS does not calculate the 1099 as income. If this should not occur there is also relief under the tax code if you were insolvent, which a bankruptcy raises the presumption of. So next year when you file your tax return just mention it to your accountant and they will file the proper forms.

Sponsored Listing
Frederick William Schwinn

Frederick William Schwinn

Bankruptcy Attorney - San Jose, CA

If you are still planning a bankruptcy filing, you are likely insolvent. Insolvent in this case means that you have more debts than assets. If this is the case, 1099-C forgiveness of debt is not taxable. Simply complete a IRS Form 982 by checking box 1(b) and file it with your income tax return.

Eric Charles Lewis

Eric Charles Lewis

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney - Indianapolis, IN

The settlement created a taxable event existing before the bankruptcy and as such, the tax due itself would not be discharged by the bankruptcy at this point in time with priority status.

Gary D. Bollinger

Gary D. Bollinger

Bankruptcy Attorney - Saint Louis, MO

Ahh! The old "phantom income" issue of forgiven debt on 1099-C.

Review the information on the web link, below.

Related Advice