Does cps have the right to question a child at school without the parents permission?

Asked about 1 year ago - Aurora, CO

My 17 , soon to be 18 yr old son, is incarcerated for battery on another teen. After years of trouble with this teenager, I no longer want him in my home so they assign a social worker. Since his case is under investigation, his social worker showed up at middle school to question his little brother(without the parents permission) about his home life... Is that legal?

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

5

Answered . Very interesting -- law enforcement must have permission. CPS does not have to have permission.

2. Justin Wade Blow

5

Answered . It's legal and not terribly uncommon. I would be pretty upset about it as well. Counsel your children to always tell CPS or law enforcement that they want their parent or an attorney present.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

4

Answered . Possibly and possibly not. It is always the best idea to have the parents present before an interrogation of a child. However, you are dealing with CPS and a social worker and not cops. So, THAT is a HUGE difference. The same laws and procedures do not apply to them. Contact a local attorney for a consultation.