Does consular processing for a minor automatically provide him with a temporary non-immigrant visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I will be marrying my boyfriend, a US citizen next month and will also start the consular process for my son (12, lives in Spain with Israeli nationality). My question is; once the process starts would he be provided with a non-immigrant (tourism) visa in the meantime to come visit me in the US? It's important for me to know that he can come visit me in the US at least once throughout the process (I was told it might take up to 8 months to get his green card). If not, can I petition for one?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not only is it not automatic, but it is highly unlikely.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The time for the visa should be instant but never can tell with the consultate. Yes, you can with the sponsorship once your new US citizen husband sponsors you.

    The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more
  3. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . More facts required - whom does the child live with and where does he go to school? If he is wholly dependent on you, B-2 is not an option.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,731 answers this week

3,304 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,731 answers this week

3,304 attorneys answering