Does collecting unemployment affect me negatively in any way?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

I was recently laid off. I have never collected unemployment before and I was wondering if there were any negatives to it? Do I have to pay it back in the future, does it affect my credit score, do my future employers see this and not like it? Thank you.

1. Nicholas C. Zales

4

Answered . No, you paid for your unemployment compensation while you where working or rather your employer did. You do not have to pay it back and it will have no adverse affect on your credit history or when you apply for any positions in the future.

2. David B Pittman

Answered . No, you paid into it as it was taken out of yoru pay. You do not have to pay it back and it ors not affect credit score.

3. Michael Clyde Harman

Pro

Answered . As long as you were actually "laid-off", you will not have to pay back the unemployment, it will not affect your credit score or hinder your prospects with future employers. You typically only have to pay back unemployment if you obtain it fraudulently; i.e. you say you were "laid-off", when you were really terminated for misconduct of some sort.